Writing is one of the most common creative endeavors we humans engage in. An expression of the capabilities of the human intellect, writing requires knowledge, skills, and a substantial amount of passion.
Being the primary form of non-verbal communication, developing proper writing skills starts very early in our lives. We learn, think, evaluate, modify our ideas to enhance our writing skills, and this process never really ends. Therefore, honing writing skills can be a continuous process if one wishes to learn to become a better writer than before.
In this article, there are some handy tips and tricks that can help one boost their writing acumen. The information and ideas given hereafter are applicable for everyone, from professional academics of online essay help services to aspiring authors, technical writers, copywriters, etc.
So, without any further ado, let’s begin.
Top-Notch Tips and Tricks to Sharpen You’re Writing Skills
Different people have different writing styles, culminating in numerous vital factors such as education, intellect, professional requirements, etc. However, many such techniques have commonalities, including incorporating simple words, short sentences, and language that directly engages readers.
Yet, despite such commonalities, every authorial style is different and can be enhanced further.
Incorporating new techniques, refurbishing one writing skills, and becoming a better writer requires loads of practice and serious dedication. In addition, different write-ups (emails, web content, academic write-ups, resume, social media posts, etc.) have diverse requirements. And, bringing notable changes that reflect in them all requires effort & practice.
Make all your write-ups crisp, conversational, and a delight to read using the following techniques.
- GIVE YOU ARE WRITING A PROPER STRUCTURE
While it may seem enticing to get your stream of consciousness on paper while writing, your audience might not be thrilled with a thing like that. However, bringing a semblance of order to your thoughts and ideas is essential as you get them down on paper.
- Be Clear About The Things You Will Be Writing On Before starting to write, take some time to arrange your thoughts & ideas and ascertain whether they are enough for the task at hand. If your writing goal is to achieve a particular purpose, ask yourself if you have enough information and resources to attain it.
Be sure and clear about your purpose before diving right in. And stick to it throughout.
- Outline Complicated Messages: When dealing with complicated concepts or highly-technical topics, highlighting and outlining key ideas & messages is vital. Make an outline of all the critical points, write quick notes and keep necessary information sources at hand before starting. Then, simplify and explain things in precise detail to help readers understand things easily.
- Remember To Anticipate & Answer Your Reader’s Questions: Put yourself in your reader’s shoes as you develop your content. Please think of the questions that might pop up in their mind and how best to answer them. Ensure they have enough context and relevant data to understand what you have written for them. If not, explain everything adequately but abstain from over-explaining.
Organize your thoughts and keep things simple but do not overcommunicate them with trivial details. On the other hand, if your content is bloated with information, revise and audit, keeping in mind your reader’s intentions and mindset.
- CRAFT CHARISMATIC CONTENT
Content is KING- there are no two ways about it. The nature and quality of your content define how capable a writer you are. It is your signature style and your trademark, so work towards refining that style!
- Talk Directly To Your Audience: Good quality content is clear, crisp, and concise. Lose all filler words and avoid adding unnecessary information. Develop a direct, cohesive & easy-to-follow narrative and avoid beating around the bush; nobody likes that! Avoid writing things that take up space and weigh a sentence down; say exactly what you mean in a straightforward fashion.
- Choose Your Words Wisely: There are many ways to write a sentence but a good writer always chooses the most straightforward way. Write sentences so that the audience grasp their meaning, purpose, and information in one go. Always try to determine the simpler synonyms and use familiar vocabulary instead of lofty & complex words. Remember that simple words are easier to understand and connect with readers faster.
If you need to enrich your content with ornamental words, make sure they are not hard to grasp or obscure the sentence’s meaning.
- Use Shorter Sentences: Shorter sentences are more powerful and engaging than longer ones. They are easier to comprehend & understand and do not out of place. Any write-up loses steam with wordiness, so avoid packing too much into a single line. Instead, try to contain a single thought or idea in a singular sentence.
- Write Shorter Paragraphs: Try to develop paragraphs shorter. Each section should be made up of at most three to four sentences. And each one of them should comprise relevant sentences that communicate the same idea. Shorter paragraphs are visually appealing and easier to digest.
Academic writing may require longer paragraphs; make sure they are not too large and cohesive.
- Employ The Active Voice Often: Use the active voice in sentences as often as possible. Also, adhere to the subject-verb agreement and sentence structure in your lines as that is the most direct way to convey your message.
Sentences in the active voice are more exciting and direct than those in the passive voice. While passive voice sentences are grammatically correct, they can be long, complicated, and cumbersome to present information.
- Use A Natural & Conversational Tone: Every writer has their trademark style and unique voice. Try to develop a direct and conversational tone in your writ-ups. Write like you converse and shape your ideas in your original voice. Let your writing style reflects your personality.
- Always Review & Edit Your Work: Revision, editing, and proofreading are integral aspects of any writing process. Proper editing and revising can help you locate your weak points, check diction & sentence structure, hone your style and tighten your writing.
- Read More and Read Often: Pick up books, magazines, newspapers, journals, articles, blogs, etc., as frequently as possible. Note how different people write, their styles, tone, word choices, and how they shape their writing styles.
Great writers like William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte, etc., put a stamp on their writing using their signature style. Read, identify, learn and then incorporate them in your writing.
- Write More and Write Often: Practice makes perfect, and the same goes for writing. Learning new tricks and incorporating a unique style is only effective when you use them in your writing as frequently as possible.
Write often and implement new techniques, tricks & nuances gradually.
- CONNECT WITH YOUR AUDIENCE
Knowing what your audience likes and expects is of paramount importance to any writer. The best stories, books, and blogs are worthless if readers find them unengaging or overtly complicated. Understanding your readers is one of the first and foremost steps towards successful content creation, and it helps perfect the writing style, tone, information to convey a message.
Be clear about three things before you write.
- Who is your target audience?
- What purpose does the write-up fulfill?
- What information do you need to communicate about the topic and yourself?
Create connections with your readers to earn their appreciation and loyalty. Here are four ways to help you create a bridge between you & your readers.
- Capture Their Attention: It is undeniably essential to grab attention and keep it engaged in your content. You won’t be able to persuade, inspire or inform your readers if you can’t keep them engrossed.
Give your readers a reason to keep your readers invested in your write-up. Describe, explain, and inform them about the central subject, using relevant data & easy-to-follow content. Please do not keep them guessing and showcase the solution or the information.
Everybody thinks differently, so make sure you use powerful techniques to convince them and motivate them to read your content. At the same time, there will be specific experiences, interests, ideas, and beliefs that most of us have in common. Employ them, too, as readers will identify with them instantly.
- Maintain Their Interest: Once you have their attention, it is time to keep it till the end of the content. Ask questions, deliver interesting facts, relate to their experiences, and address their questions & concerns.
- It’s all about THEM: Whatever you are writing about, remember to keep your audience in the midst of it all. Your readers should have a feeling that you are speaking directly to THEM, understand THEIR issues, share THEIR values, align with THEIR thinking, and possess experiences similar to THEIRS.
Writing requires effort, dedication, intellect, imagination, and sharp skills like any other art form. So, here’s hoping that the tips and tricks in this blog help readers master the art of writing better & faster.
That’s it for this write-up! All the best!